Hobby Lobby: Alarming Decision

Chick-fil-A might be home to the “original chicken sandwich,” but my cash won’t be finding a home in their cash registers.

Target encourages me to “expect more, pay less,” but I don’t expect doodly-squat from an organization lead by Guido Barilla, an out of the closet homophobe.

Hobby Lobby certainly won the day by tapping into the cabal of angry men on the Robert’s Court, hobby_lobby_cabal_of_angry_men (303x150)but this angry man won’t be making a hobby of lobbying.

I appreciate when someone lets me know where they’re coming from.

But I have a hard time accepting what’s right in front of my eyes. This is clearly a flaw in my nature, since I have a tendency to see the potential instead of the person.

How can you sit on the high court and still lower yourself, which is precisely what Roberts, Alito, Thomas, Kennedy and Scalia did in the Hobby Lobby Decision. It’s not a decision. It’s an indictment of the Robert’s Court.

On Facebook, when the ruling came down, shocked, I posted a link. By the end of the day, there were 124-comments, with 12-people liking it, although I get the feeling they liked my headline, not the ruling.

You Can’t Put The Word ‘Religious’ Next To The Word ‘Freedom.’

hobby_lobby_blending_church_and_state (303x194)76-comments in, I lost interest in replying to an assault of comments from right wing dittoheads. I couldn’t do it anymore.

My stamina for caring gave out. My heart went kaput. Luckily, in the middle of the day, Malinda invited me over for dinner.

She made grilled salmon with corn sliced off the cob. While she nuked the corn, I nibbled on veggies and fresh strawberries, sipping on white wine. We talked casually about the day. Then I switched the topic to Hobby Lobby, launching into a diatribe of outrage with my mouth full.

We’re never going to get a constitutional amendment barring insecure men from the high court. Hence, I propose a two-thirds vote, up or down, to amend the constitution, barring all political discourse without a mouth full of food.

hobby_lobby_using_girls_against_their_future_selves (303x202)It sets the right tone: spit masquerading as righteousness.

Back in the day, before newsfeeds, before Facebook, Malinda used to participate in message boards, chiming-in.

But she was overwhelmed by the underwhelmingness. Glancing through 124-comments on my Facebook Newsfeed, she couldn’t help but ask this: what’s the point?

Falling for someone is treacherous. I’m overcome by the desire to toss everything aside, look the other way and celebrate how lucky I am. Case in point, hobby_lobby_pro_life_sham (303x209)around midnight on Saturday, I walked into the lobby of my apartment building. I pressed the button for the elevator. Another resident, racing to catch the elevator, rounding the corner, didn’t notice when she dropped her mail. I pointed out the dropped mail, letting her know I’d be happy to hold the elevator, since there was no point in rushing.

Is there ever a point in rushing?

Really?

Anyway, we rode up the elevator together. She asked how things were. Typically, my answer is generic. But on this particular night, coming off a glorious weekend with Malinda, I was feeling it.

hobby_lobby_sad_bible (303x202)“Lucky,” I said. “I’ve never felt luckier.”

She looked directly into my eyes, which isn’t something you typically encounter, or invite, when riding an elevator.

“You don’t hear that very often,” she smiled. “Hold onto it. It’s rare.”

No sooner had I walked off the elevator and entered my apartment than the fire alarm went off. I walked into the bedroom, removing the 9-volt battery. No sooner had I removed the battery than the alarm went off in the hallway. I walked into the hallway, identified the alarm, stared at it, contemplating my next move.

Not wanting to get back in the elevator, I walked 7-flights to the lobby, where I alerted the doorman. Protesters hold signs at steps of the Supreme Court as arguments begin today to challenge the Affordable Care Act's requirement that employers provide coverage for contraception as part of an employee's health care, in WashingtonHe told me it was a coincidence, since all the batteries had been put in the alarms at the same time.

No sooner had he explained away the alarms than a young couple walked into the lobby, saying all of the alarms on the 8th floor were going off. The doorman leaned back, thought for a minute, then repeated his assertion, explaining away the alarms.

Encouraging us to go back to sleep.

I understand the desire to leave the big decisions to someone else. I understand the desire to feel like there’s nothing you can do, like it’s beyond your control, so why bother, what’s the point? I understand the desire to brush it off, look the other way, golf.

hobby_lobby_ginsburg_dissent (303x171)So what did I do? I’ll tell you what I did…

What I was told.

Alarms? What alarms?

This entry was posted in Home News Slider, Welcome To Backwards Land and tagged , , , , , , , , , . Bookmark the permalink.

16 Responses to Hobby Lobby: Alarming Decision

1. Cinnamon says:

Internet bickering: if ya ain’t doin it for fun, don’t do it at all. You’re not gonna change the mind of fools and fools will likewise not move you. Internet bickering is for people to prove their poor English skills, to show who can Wikipedia the fastest, and to show who can debunk anything ever said with a link to an article, even if said article is from The Onion (shhhh, don’t tell). But boy is it fun cornering religious imbeciles with the written word…

I do it for fun. I do it for sport. I do it to hone my comedy chops. I do it for the hell of it. I do it to etch-a-sketch my thoughts, so I can clear my mind and see what I think about things, instead of regurgitating what I’ve been told.

:-)

the only good thing that may come from this unbelievably stupid decision is that it might enrage enough women that they will come out for the midterms and make sure the Dems hold the senate! Elections have consequences, and this 5 white man cabal is the result of elections gone wrong!! If you don’t want more Scalias, Roberts, Thomases, etc, get your asses to the voting booths!!

Too bad poor women have to suffer to “activate the base.” It reflects a small-mindedness you’re supposed to leave in your 20′s.

Women deserve better. We need term limits on the Supreme Court: 9-years, 1-year shy of a decade is long enough to prance around in a robe, pretending your gavel is the magical hammer of justice.

3. BF says:

Let me give you the BF take on the Hobby Lobby decision. I think SCOTUS got it right. What most folks don’t understand is that companies can require employees to pay a portion of their health care, sometimes a big portion, it’s within the law. ACA is regulation that requires companies to provide certain basic coverage so that everybody can feel confident that their policy will not leave them high and dry!! So the bottom line is disclosure. As long as the employer tells you what you get, what you don’t get, what you pay for, I have no problem with this ruling. The Quackers have a full exemption from any participation in ACA because they handle their own health care. I do think SCOTUS did get it somewhat wrong because Hobby Lobby may not want to pay for certain coverage but it should be offered to their employees as an option that the employee can pay for.

You have to be careful boycotting businesses based on ideology. We on the right, unfortunately, buy against our own interests $10 to $1. International Liberalism has far more business to lose than we do. Think Hollywood. Billions and billions go to the coffers of left wing billionaires that have a deep hate for their customer base. It’s the opposite of FUBU.

• Babs says:

None of this makes sense!! The consumer for the most part is at the bottom of the rung! 300 million people that are on the bottom spend $1 and its 300 million dollars! 30 million people that are on top spend $1 and it’s only 30 million! You tell me where the buying power is!!! It’s the 300 million that drive our economy not the 30 million on top.!

The Supreme Court struck down a key part of the Affordable Care Act, ruling that privately-owned corporations don’t have to offer their employees contraceptive coverage that conflicts with the corporate owners’ religious beliefs. The owners of Hobby Lobby, the plaintiffs, were always free to practice their religion. The Court bestowed religious freedom on their corporation as well — a leap of logic as absurd as giving corporations freedom of speech. Corporations aren’t people! The deeper problem is the Court’s obliviousness to the growing imbalance of economic power between corporations and real people. By giving companies the right to not offer employees contraceptive services otherwise mandated by law, the Court ignored the rights of employees to receive those services.

But anyone with half a brain can see the growing concentration of income and wealth at the top of America has concentrated political power there as well — generating laws and rules that tilt the playing field ever further in the direction of corporations and the wealthy.

Antitrust laws designed to constrain monopolies have been eviscerated. Companies are being allowed to prolong patents and trademarks, keeping drug prices higher.

Tax laws favor capital over labor, giving capital gains a lower rate than ordinary income. The rich get humongous mortgage interest deductions while renters get no deduction at all.

The value of real property (the major asset of the middle class) is taxed annually, but not the value of stocks and bonds (where the rich park most of their wealth).

Bankruptcy laws allow companies to smoothly reorganize, but not college graduates with crazy student loans.

The minimum wage is at a record loe, while CEO pay is in the stratosphere.

Public goods paid for with tax revenues (public schools, affordable public universities, parks, roads, bridges) are deteriorating, while private goods paid for individually (private schools and colleges, health clubs, security guards, gated community amenities) are gangbusters.

Corporation are in control. The ultra wealthy are in control.

7. BF says:

Vince is correct but it can change. The biggest fear the money guys have is the power the people have with their vote. Some day someone will start a campaign to enlighten all the people to use their vote to make change instead of catering to their favorite special interest like guns, god and gay bashing. Back in the 1950′s, in the days of Eisenhower (a real Republican), the top tax rate was 90%, which stopped alot of this money accumulation that fuels our current problems.

8. Gregor says:

This is probably the best give-and-take I’ve ever seen on a blog. Thanks everyone, for taking this conversation in an interesting direction.

We have more than enough money for tanks. We have more than enough money for bailing out bankers. We have more than enough money to cut taxes on the wealthy. But we’re broke when it comes to condoms, education, re-building bridges and Health Care For All.

Someone is dealing from the bottom of the deck.

Mr. Morelli, BF, I wish votes mattered. The right wing has been working on the “voting problem” for two decades. They have quietly made small, innocuous plays that have reshaped the voting landscape.

It is now almost impossible to oust a republican, unless it is a more right winged republican doing the ousting. There has to be some sort of paradigm shift for any real change to happen. Barack had ideas, but it seems he too was corrupted by the money and power.

Once Elizabeth Warren starts voting on the side with Wall Street, we can all then agree we are doomed, absent a revolution.

10. Steven says:

I am glad you are happy. Today I had a root canal on an abscess. Like an idiot, I did not take the antibiotic from the first session, so the novacaine had little effect cause it was so infected.

The short is it was torture. For the first time in my life, I can honestly say I was tortured. When I was sitting in my car on the upper east side, I noticed how everybody looks so unhappy walking by. So the lady in the elevator comment reflects the current mood of the country. IT is rare and I’m happy for you.

IF things get bad sometimes maybe you should give her half as much understanding as you give Obama. Here is a video of Chris Matthews (who I don’t generally like) laying into Elizabeth Warren.

I don’t give Obama “understanding.” The difference between me and you is I don’t hold Obama up to an unrealistic expectation.

Did we get the beginning of Health Care For All, YES. Is it perfect, NO.

Did we get Marriage Equality, YES. Did it pass in Illinois before Concealed Carry, NO.

Did we beat the war drums for Syria, Russia, Iraq and Iran? YES. Did we invade, NO.

Did Bradley Manning go to Jail? Did Edward Snowden flee America for little more than exercising his right to free speech? Did we bring home Bowe Bergdhal? YES. Are they dead kids like Casey Sheehan or Pat Tillman? NO.

Politics aside, Steven, I’m sorry to hear your root canal was torture. And yes, if you stop to take a look around, especially in New York City, these days, there’s a lack of joyfulness which is alarming. Maybe it’s always been that way, except when we were younger, and new to the big apple, we were so caught-up in the dreams we were chasing, we were so caught-up in ourselves, necessarily, as a symptom of youth, we didn’t have the capacity to stop long enough and take a look around, like you did.

I think the trick to finding your manhood is taking it one step further. Not simply noticing the epidemic of unhappiness, but asking yourself the hard question: what can I do, in a small way, that would make a big difference?

Otherwise, it’s easy to treat your life as a spectator sport, instead of jumping in.

I was just in East Hamptons, NY. Everyone seemed pretty happy. I don’t know what you are talking about, Steve.

Vince is a Baller. He grabs life by the balls. Ballers hang in East Hampton.

Steven is a philosophizer. He watches life pass by in commentary. Philosophizers have grueling root canals.

;-)