ObamaCare’s Epic Oy Vey Success

Here’s how the media is hyping the rollout of ObamaCare.

Huffington Post: “White House Pleads: Don’t Give Up On Obamacare!”

New York Times: “Sebelius Faces A Firestorm Over Health Care Exchanges.”

CNN: “Obama Blindsided. Health Chief: We’re Frustrated.”

They’re frustrated? It’s been less than 1-week since the Government Shutdown, and they’re frustrated? It’s been less than 1-week since Default Brinksmanship, and they’re frustrated? It’s been 42-votes in the House of Representatives to defund ObamaCare, and they’re frustrated.

I call bullshit.

This is how it goes. There’s no other way. The frustrating part is how the 42-votes should have been used: to implement and refine, instead of masturbating at the podium.

I call bullshit.

Think of all the infrastructure they had to get things tight before the rollout. Think of all the congressmen. Think of all the congresswomen. Think of all their paid staff. Think of all their interns.

The hysteria is exhausting. The litany of outrage is numbing. Enough already.

The game is over.

It’s time to get back to work. It was time to get back to work when Barack Obama won his 1st term. Enough already.

I spent 53-minutes at the health care exchange, and already I know more about my health care coverage than I have in the past. This conversation is overdue. And not the conversation with my health care provider (whether you call it a nurse, doctor or HMO is mere parsing of words, so get a life).

The conversation I’m talking about is the national dialog. We need to get this right.

Yes, I’m worried about Syria. But not really. Yes, I’m worried about drones. But not really. Yes, I’m worried about rampant homophobia in Russia as we prepare for the 2016 Olympic Games In Sochi. But not really.

Right now, I’m focused on taking care of myself. Go ahead, call me selfish. You wouldn’t be wrong. But I’m reminded of something dad used to say, “How can you take care of other people when you can’t take care of yourself?”

Dad used to say this to me in my 20’s. Back then, I had friends crashing on the floor of my apartment while I was trying to finish-up college. Back then, I’d lend a friend $20 bucks. Back then, I gave away what wasn’t mine to give away, since my parents were helping me out, and instead of using the help to graciously push myself toward self-sufficiency, I held myself back by helping the people around me.

I call bullshit on my younger self. The money wasn’t mine. It was my parents. The money we’re spending isn’t ours. It’s China’s.

I understand we like to have this perception of being a “Moral Leader” in the world, but we can’t take care of the world if we can’t take care of ourselves.

It starts with Affordable Care, which is a human right we’ve been denied by men and women who take it for granted, even though we elected them to represent us. It begs the question: how can they represent people they don’t understand? Enough already.

Mistakes are a gift. There’s no such thing as a smooth rollout. Glitches are part of the process. No one gets everything right from the get-go. Screw ups are natural. What’s unnatural is media hype.

Turn it off. Besides me.

This entry was posted in Welcome To Backwards Land and tagged , , , , , , , , , , , , , , . Bookmark the permalink.

18 Responses to ObamaCare’s Epic Oy Vey Success

1. Brutally Frank says:

In 1965, I went to work with IBM as a System Engineer. I like to call myself the 1st Computer Scientist since I helped roll out the new IBM 360 which was the first real computer that operated the way computers operate today.

I was one of the best at installing the new computers because my philosophy was to install the new systems with a minimum of testing which put pressure on the staff to solve the problems because the company was depending on the output. We worked through many a night to eliminate the bugs and get the results right. The company needed payroll and there was no going back. We always goter done because that’s what we did.

No worries mate.

The current problems with the healthcare rollout mean that just the right (as in correct) amount of effort went into the implimentation and the team will geter done. This may be exactly what the Prez wanted to happen so he can get the focus off the focus and put another Benghazi in his pocket.

2. Brutally Frank says:

Greg’s experience with getting health care insurance through the exchange is exactly what I would expect at this time. Greg is a prime example of what health ins companies want so of course he had the best rate. No, absolutly no, pre existing conditions.

What Greg did not get explained to him is if he got really, really sick this rate would have exploded prior to Obamacare (love that word). Also a lot of other GOOD changes are now a part of his policy and his costs will not increase. Everybody in his age group will get the same rate.

Should Greg get a new company off the exchange, he can now compare and make an intelligent decision. What a country.

Me? Make an intelligent decision? As if…

;-)

Now I have to think through the specifics: do I need full coverage of emergency room care (which I currently have), do I need full coverage of doctor visits with no co-pay (which I currently have), do I need all of my prescription drug claims paid for after the first 20% (which I currently have), do I need 80% covered once my deductible is met (which I currently have), do I want a higher deductible than $1000.00 (which I currently have).

Turns out, I have a pretty spectacular plan, for the money. Maybe a little too spectacular for my needs. But then again, it’s called “coverage” for a reason. Am I right, BF?

• Steven says:

I have a policy through work, it takes about 15-minutes to read through the benefit website page to know exactly what my benefits are. And if I have a question, I can call them. I don’t think the government needed to explain a health care contract. Obamacare is not health insurance. It is a website that directs you to health insurance companies. They are basically middleman. We already have middleman. It’s called HEALTH INSURANCE companies.

Putting restrictions on insurance companies profits and no prior conditions are good, but I realty don’t see the point of this. What was the deductible they quoted you? You can raise the deductible on your plan and you will get a cheaper rate.

I don’t have a policy through work. I take care of it myself. I used HealthCare.gov to get myself started. Then I called my health insurance company. They took me through the specifics. And yes, I can get a much, much cheaper rate if I raise the deductible. But that’s just another way of kicking the cost down the road. And likely, down the road, when I need it, I’ll appreciate the break in cost more than I need a break in cost right now, when everything is pretty much hunky-dory.

I get it. I get it. We hate paying bills. We all hate paying bills. But I’m trying to see things more clearly, is all. And I’ve been satisfied with my experience during this rollout, is all.

• Brutally Frank says:

People that don’t take high deductables spend alot of money to eliminate alittle bit of risk. For example my medicare supplemental insurance payment was approx $250/mo for no deductible. I changed to a high deductible policy of $2000/year and my monthly premium dropped to $100. Therefore I was paying $1800 a year for $2000 worth of possible coverage. Once again, I said possible coverage. That’s how you analyze these policies.

• Brutally Frank says:

the answer is I would try real hard to find comparable coverage in the exchange because the exchange only works and survives if it attracts healthy people and not so healthy people. If your in the exchange your helping people get coverage that could not get it before.

3. Steven says:

“We are concerned that the administration required contractors to change course late in the implementation process to conceal Obamacare’s effect on increasing health insurance premiums,” said the letter authored by panel chairman Darrell Issa and four Republican subcommittee chairmen.

Forget about the motives, which if you like Obama, you will probably think this is not true. But as a software developer, I can tell you the only reason a website that takes 4 years to build, with endless resources, is not flawless is b\c someone who knows nothing about software decided to make to many changes too close to rollout.

It’s not like editing a word document. If you change one part of the program, often other parts have to be adjusted. Also, every time there is a change, the program has to be re-tested. As you go up the chain in a business, the people who make the decisions increasingly are less knowledgble about the code. Also, this company, CGI, is good at getting government contracts (10 billion in revenue). But this does not mean they are good at development.

And usually at Companies that contract with government there is a lot of nepotism (i.e Cheney at Halliburton).

Think of all the infrastructure they had to get things right before the rollout.

It is a website. It’s not that complicated of a website. The website probably worked fine a year ago. The coding had nothing to do with the government shutdown. It comes down to some exec afraid to stand-up to people who said I don’t like this…this needs to be changed too soon to rollout. That’s it.

It’s not like you just release a product like this without substantial testing. I have been working on a project for 8 -months that is way more complicated than that site, with only one other guy and one tester and business analyst. We run into the same problem. The users expect change in the design without the proper time. At some point, you need to wrap it up because you can always come out with a later version.

I am sure the programmers warned the higher-ups about this. And of course, they are the ones who will probably take the fall.

• Brutally Frank says:

Dearest Steve-some of what you say is correct. However, changes usually occur because management is trying to follow protocol. Unfortunately as we go forward and things settle down the system will work, nothing will be hidden, and we will never ever hear y ou retract the BS you spin.

A high deductible is not kicking it the cost down the road. My insurance is for catastrophe anything under the deductible I can handle out of pocket. Lets say you have a 2 day stay in the hospital and it costs $5000. Often times if you agree to pay in full on your way out the hospital will discount as high as 60%. FYI

By the way it’s yet to be seen if this Affordable Care Act business is good for the country. Lets wait a year and give it a chance and evaluate it when we know how it works in the real world. And if it turns out to be a good system Ill be the first to say so.

Regarding your tagline: Tequila y Besos..

My two favorite things. Augua y Besos ardientes..

7. Brian David Lupton says:

Not perfect but the best you’re bound to get with the fear of ‘socialized healthcare’ aka COMMUNISM you Americans get your panties in a twist about. We Canadian’s have socialized healthcare AND we give money to people who don’t work. Somehow we’ve managed to NOT slide into COMMUNISM.
    Mind you occasionally I do have to stand in line for bread. This however is due to the fact that the grocery stores are very busy what with people having money to buy food and such.
    We also manage to have really wealthy people and poor people. I’ve noticed however that people think they are ‘well off’ because they have STUFF. The fact it’s not paid for and they are living on credit somehow eludes their thinking.
    I know this part isn’t about healthcare but I find it interesting when I read the crazy diatribes about the TAKERS who get food stamps and how dare they have a cellphone or imaginary friend forbid a FLAT SCREEN TV. Thing is that person’s TV is probably paid for and a cellphone isn’t really a luxury. I personally don’t have a house phone and it costs me less than $40 a month for unlimited everything including long distance. Phones are a need especially if you have kids or are trying to get a job and a flat screen TV isn’t a very good indicator that someone is ‘gaming’ the system. I can buy one for less than a $100.
    Oh and I’m glad Andy can ‘pay out of pocket’ for anything under his high deductible. Discounts for cash payments lol. If they can take 60% off your bill because they don’t have to wait 6 weeks to get paid it seems to me they are overcharging in the first place. If they can make a ‘profit’ charging you $2000 that other $3000 is just pure profit. That’s ridiculous. Basically a 25% interest charge EVERY week until paid. Wow! 1300% effective annual rate, that’s some good scam there. Legal loan sharking who knew? Fuck FB and Microsoft invest in a hospital. For profit healthcare is an abomination in a modern society. Yes doctors and nurses should get well compensated for their work, but hospitals should NOT be a business. They are a NEED not a luxury.