Open Season On The Unarmed

Aaron Alexis should be applauded for shooting up a Navy Yard. It’s the right place to come unglued.

We’re not interested in having a thoughtful, productive or rational conversation about guns. We’re not interested in placing the word ‘control’ anywhere near the word ‘gun.’

To use the language of addiction, we’re not interested in taking the 1st Step.

We’re hooked on guns. We’re hooked on shootings. We’re hooked on mourning the victims of shootings. We’re hooked on politicians bowing their heads, offering thoughts and prayers.

It’s the new national pastime.

But we need to give it a place. We need to give it a context. We need to give ourselves a ritual for coming unglued.

When I want to get drunk, I go to a bar. When I want to get drunk and violent, I go to a sports bar.

If I have too much to drink, and I’m driving, I take a cab. If I have too much to drink, and I’m driving, and I get in my car anyway, and I get busted, I get a DUI, which lets everyone know I’m a selfish piece of shit.

Those are acceptable rules for unacceptable behavior. It’s time to acknowledge, not all behavior is supposed to be acceptable. Sometimes we need to blow-off steam.

Military Bases are acceptable. Gun Ranges are acceptable. Open Fields and Waters where hunting’s permitted is acceptable. Any gathering of the NRA is acceptable.

These are places where the strategy of accomplishing a very specific goal is attached to the use of deadly force. It follows, these are places where showing-up with an AR-15, M16A2, Remington 870 12-Gauge Shotgun, and coming unglued, is perfectly acceptable.

If I wanted to get drunk, I’d go to a bar, not a Safeway. If I wanted to get drunk and violent, I’d go to a sports bar, not an AMC Movie Theater.

If I wanted to see titties, I go to a titty bar, not an Elementary School.

We’ve given these behaviors a place. We’ve given these behaviors a context. We’ve given these behaviors a ritual for coming unglued.

In a country where peaceful assembly and the right to debate grievances is perceived as more threatening than bang-bang shoot-shoot, in a country where the order of the 1st & 2nd Amendment needs to be switched to more accurately reflect the national priority, in a country where schoolchildren are moving targets and it’s open season on the unarmed, Aaron Alexis should be applauded for shooting up a Navy Yard.

He’s pointing. But it’s not a gun. It’s a way forward.

This entry was posted in Welcome To Backwards Land and tagged , , , , , , , , , , , . Bookmark the permalink.

26 Responses to Open Season On The Unarmed

Well written and makes alot of sense. Time we stopped pointing fingers at video games, violent movies, etc, and accept the fact that we are a gun loving nation. When over 80% of “we the people” want some form of sensable gun legislation, and the people we elect and send to congress fail to respond for fear of losing their “JOBS” it’s a sad day. So once again we will sit around our TVs and lament the fact that once again 12 good people lost their lives to an AK15!

State Senators John Morse and Angela Giron are now Former State Senators after a recall election in Colorado forced them from office for putting the word ‘control’ next to the word ‘gun.’

If that doesn’t tell you who we are, and what we love, nothing does.

• Vince says:

Babs,
      How do you know these were 12 good people? Maybe only 4 were good and the other 8 were really bad, evil doers? Who is really good anyway?

Good point. For example, I’m a piece of shit. If someone took me out, it’d be of little to no consequence.

Truly: no children, no meaningful career, no sense of purpose that amounted to anything.

Last night, my parents told me I like to throw pity parties for myself. But it’s not true. I like to rip myself open in my writing, to see what I’m made of.

Here’s what I’m made of: ambition, heart, an incredible ear for compassion and music, the fastest sense of humor since Gene Wilder drew guns in “Blazing Saddles,” a bottomless pit of regret for spending my adult life running away from taking my LSAT’s and exploiting legal loopholes to overcharge my clients by coveting questionable relationships with questionable judges.

• Claudia says:

Mi amigo Greg! How to respond to your comment. The last time I saw you, you said that most of what you write is for dramatic effect, however I wonder how much of it is for dramatic effect and how much of it is really true.
          At times you sound like a contradiction. In one sentence you rip yourself open and in the other you discover who you really are. All Heart!

Pity Parties are my favorites, my involved a day in bed watching sappy movies and eating ice cream. I’m due for one, Sunday was my three year anniversary of when I was diagnosed with stage 4 cancer. I should be happy I’m alive but I want to throw a pity party.

The hardest part of opening-up, being vulnerable, allowing yourself to feel pity, is learning how to deflect the name calling, since it’s nothing more than emotional rug-pulling.

Pity Parties make for great writing. So does whining. So does rage. So does being a knucklehead. Silliness comes out of going all-in. But it’s terrifying!

If I spent every blog trying to be eloquent, insightful, big picture, I’d bore myself out of the process. Putting it out there is the only thing I know how to do.

Gracias, Amiga.

• Babs says:

so Vince, lets say there were 4 good people and 8 evil doers. Who has the right to judge? Is some evil worse than others? Who has the right to judge? Maybe my evil is your good (Frank likes my evil)! And on and on and on!!

2. Steven says:

I think the more important story is during the economic recovery 95 percent of the money went toward the upper 1 percent. Interesting to see how much longer this can go on without civil unrest in this country..Having a black president helps this…

It’s not about “having a black president.” It was about electing a black president. Turns out, the election of 2008 said more about us than it did about the candidate. Once again, We The People are way ahead of the person who ends-up sitting in the Oval Office.

We’re diverse, open minded, sick of the drug war, sick of the homophobia, tired of being tired. That said, we’re more in love with bang-bang shoot-shoot than we are with our own children.

3. Tali says:

Wow. This really made me think. Great perspective.

Another worthless liberal “gun free” city. Clinton signed a bill that prohibits serviceman from conceal and carry on base and this is what you get-a Communist shooting up the base our sailors unable to defend themselves. Everywhere liberals are in power there is nothing but misery and poverty and destruction!

Yes, it’s Liberals, the Evil Liberal Monsters.

ROAR.

We care. We think. We try. We fail. We try again.

We’re concerned about those coming up behind us. We’re open to meaningful debate. We’re not afraid of using deadly force, but we don’t get-off on it.

ROAR.

5. Robert says:

Gun laws are NOT the cause of this. For the past 30+ years the ACLU and federal regulations have put millions of mentally ill people on the streets when they should be in institutions.

There’s a great book on the subject: Madness in the Streets : How Psychiatry and the Law Abandoned the Mentally Ill

Here’s a NYPost article from last year: http://nypost.com/2012/12/10/homeless-crazies-cant-be-rounded-up-until-they-attack/

Thanks, Robert. Although I really don’t think the gun argument should be linked to the mentally ill argument. You can’t put the word ‘responsible’ in front of the words ‘gun owner.’ It’s an abdication of adulthood.

We have problems, major problems, and until we confront those problems, head-on, instead of playing the addict game of take the focus off the focus, we’re doomed to an endless cycle of massacres.

We should shut the internet down. Every stupid idea is supported by ample stupidity on the internet which only reinforces the mind sets of idiots with flawed beliefs.

7. Robert says:

You certainly can put the word ‘responsible’ in front of the words ‘gun owner’. These people keep their guns locked in safes, use trigger locks, keep the guns away from children, never store a loaded gun, take safety courses, and ONLY point their gun at another human being in self-defense situations because the understand that these are deadly. Inner city gang members are clearly not acting responsibly…more guns laws and restrictions will not stop a single inner city shooting.

And not a single inner city gang member has done a mass shooting-not in Columbine, not i n Sandy Hook, not in the Aurora movie theatre, not in the Navel ship yard. I think Robert sits on his brians!! The kid who shot up Sandy Hook had a very responsible mother. She had alot of guns in her gun case and a nut case of a son living with her. The perfect storm for what happened. WE NEED RESPONSIBLE GUN LEGISLATION!!!

9. Robert says:

How do you envision responsible gun legislation? What changes would it include?

Please add up the numbers of people killed each weekend on the streets of our major cities? It’s a war zone that is being ignored and more gun laws will not change that culture.

The ACLU and HIPPA laws are enabling mentally ill to have guns, do some googling and enlighten yourself.

10. Robert says:

Why can’t you have an intellectual dialogue based on FACTS? The first step to learning is being open minded to listen and learn.

Here is a resource to assist: http://www.factcheck.org/

Why can’t you have an interesting dialogue based on EMOTION instead of facts which are nothing more than convenient statistics bent to accommodate a pre-conceived ideological bias?

I know why, Robert. You’re too much of a pussy.

11. Robert says:

really? rather than discussing the facts you’d rather resort to name calling?

Names? Who’s name calling. It’s a fact: you’re a pussy, Robert, hiding behind non-facts, which is little more than cloaked racism.

12. Robert says:

your accusation of “non-facts” are found at http://www.factcheck.org/

This site is a nonpartisan, nonprofit “consumer advocate” for voters that aims to reduce the level of deception and confusion in U.S. politics. They monitor the factual accuracy of what is said by major U.S. political players in the form of TV ads, debates, speeches, interviews and news releases.

FactCheck.org is a project of the Annenberg Public Policy Center of the University of Pennsylvania.