School House Glock: Sandy Hook Shooting

On the very same day as the Sandy Hook Elementary School Shooting, the White House didn’t want to talk about Gun Control. And neither did we.

The Sandy Hook Elementary School Shooting will result in a gun sale bubble – out of an irrational fear of Gun Control – which never comes, since we never talk about it.

Tears cost nothing. Thoughts and prayers cost nothing.

On the flip side, photo-ops buy the most ellusive commodity of all: empathy. Case in point, there’s no denying, President Obama wiping away tears at his press conference won me over.

But 20-minutes later, I was mad at him. And now, I feel manipulated.

We never talk about Gun Control, in the moment, so it always gets pushed-off by people with gobs & gobs of money, who seem to control the conversation. How many more kids are going to be shot? How many more 5-year old have to watch as their classmates are gunned-down? What’s the magic number, before the grown-ups act like grown-ups…and do something about it!

27 dead, including 20 kids.

If we’re not going to do something about it, and we’re not, to more accurately reflect reality, let’s change the names of the places we gather: Sandy Hook Gun Range, Oregon Mall Gun Range, Temple Sikh Gun Range, Virginia Tech Gun Range, Safeway Gun Range, AMC Gun Range, Columbine Gun Range.

If we’re not going to even mention Gun Control, and we’re not, let’s switch the order of the 1st & 2nd Amendment to better reflect our national priorities.

If we’re not going to act like grown-ups, and we’re not, at the very least, let’s give Michael Moore a hall pass. Please, CNN, don’t invite him to chat with Piers Morgan about school shootings. Michael Moore has done more than his fair share in sounding the alarm.

27 dead, including 20 kids, heartbreak :-(

The Sandy Hook Elementary School Shooting will end-up being nothing more than an infomercial for guns. In the end, we’re more afraid of unleashing emotions than we are of unleashing bullets.

Go ahead, turn our kids into moving targets. But don’t touch our precious guns.

This entry was posted in The CC "News to Send Your Friends & Frenemies" and tagged , , , , , , , , , . Bookmark the permalink.

39 Responses to School House Glock: Sandy Hook Shooting

The Assault Weapons Ban expired 8 years ago. These little kids at Sandy Hook won’t ever be 8 years old! At least a ban on these most damaging weapons that no one needs except our military and police! A true sportsman and hunter only needs a rifle to hunt. We the people are ready for and need some form of gun control. Here’s hoping and praying our politicians throw off the handcuffs of the NRA and act responsibly!

2. Philadelphia Fan says:

Thank you.

3. Trip says:

We’re a bunch of volunteers who are starting a new program in our community. Your website provided us with lots to think about. Your writing is formidable. We’re grateful.

4. Tory B. says:

This site wasn’t working yesterday. I tried. But it timed out 3-4 times. Why did this occur? Am I the only one having this error?

Let’s get real. No one, at all, needs a gun. Standing in a little wooden play fort in the woods, while drunk, waiting for a helpless animal to wonder by, grazing on grass, so you can riddle it with bullets, is not hunting. Buy a fucking bow and arrow…have at hunting!

The constitution did not contain any gun wielding right. It’s time to repeal it, just like we did with the 18th Amendment. If gun ownership was illegal, like owning a hand grenade, they would slowly disappear. England has only 35 gun deaths a year. Illinois has more in one month. And the argument that criminals will get them, so we all need them, is an illusion.

No one needs a gun. Ownership should be criminal. Stop the insanity.

Here is another NRA nut case. He has 47 guns. $100,000 in ammo. He threatened to kill kids at another elementary.

7. Randy Kaplan says:

i wonder how many people in that rich white neighborhood ever encouraged their kids to be nice to awkward unpopular kids like this person was. Or if they overheard their kid talking about how they were making fun of another kid if they ever said anything. how many teachers cared enough to try and get the kids to be nice to him. i bet zero. the rich, white surburbs is not a place to be different and not be able to fit in.

I think it takes a lot of guts to ask these questions. No one wants to see things through the eyes of the shooter, since we’re a culture of pure good guys and pure bad guys. Remember: either you with us or against us?

I hope we look at things from every possible point of view. I hope we explore the life of these families long after the vigil, when it’s easy to turn on the tears, and the cameras are rolling.

But we won’t. We’ll vilify the shooter. We’ll use the 20 funerals as photo-ops. The NRA will be allowed to carry on as a domestic terror cell, with no consequences. There already has been other shootings.

Soon enough, 20 dead children will seem like a small number. There’s no story here, America. Move along…

8. vince says:

Randy, you igorant slut. Kids are kids, rich, middle or poor. You dump your hatred on this blog on rich kids? Sure, that’s why this shooting happened. People like you should disappear and we could then bring up our average IQ score. I bet you own a gun.

The average IQ in America is already sub-par, so to pick on Randy is too easy, Vince. Mostly I’m afraid for parents.

They don’t seem to understand their power. If all parents decided, collectively, to NOT drop off their kids, on the very next day, in America, there’d be GUN LAWS.

I think parents are nuts. Was it sane for the people of Africa to line-up quietly for slave ships? Was it sane for Jews to line-up quietly for trains to Auschwitz? Then tell me why is it sane for parents to quietly drop-off their children at schools in a country where school shootings are sport?

Publish a list of schools and addresses of all the children of members of Congress. Then let’s see how our so-called leaders feel about “The Thoughts And Prayers Of A Nation.”

We’re acting insane. Our children are looking to us. And they’re learning how to go quietly…

9. vince says:

Wealthy people always employ poor, christian, south american women who can then instill good values into their wealthy children.

10. vince says:

Another Day, More Deaths: Two Police Officers Shot And Killed In Kansas… 3-Year-Old Accidentally Shoots Himself, Dies… Gunman At Large After Shooting Victim 4 Times… Man Shoots Wife… One Person Shot In San Antonio, Gunman Later Shot By Cops… Woman Shot At Campground… Woman Shot To Death, Son ‘Thought She Was Sleeping’… 3 Gunned Down In Grand Rapids

11. vince says:

Repeal the Second Amendment now!

The time for action was yesterday. There’s been 31 school shootings since Columbine.

If I have to listen to one more spoiled, overpaid, make-believe leader bow his head, wipe away tears and talk about “thoughts and prayers,” I’m climbing into my time machine with an M16A2 and use my right to bear arms on our women-hating, slave-owning “Founding Fathers.”

12. vince says:

An letter by Liza Long: (must read!)
    Three days before 20 year-old Adam Lanza killed his mother, then opened fire on a classroom full of Connecticut kindergartners, my 13-year old son Michael (name changed) missed his bus because he was wearing the wrong color pants.

“I can wear these pants,” he said, his tone increasingly belligerent, the black-hole pupils of his eyes swallowing the blue irises.

“They are navy blue,” I told him. “Your school’s dress code says black or khaki pants only.”

“They told me I could wear these,” he insisted. “You’re a stupid bitch. I can wear whatever pants I want to. This is America. I have rights!”

“You can’t wear whatever pants you want to,” I said, my tone affable, reasonable. “And you definitely cannot call me a stupid bitch. You’re grounded from electronics for the rest of the day. Now get in the car, and I will take you to school.”

I live with a son who is mentally ill. I love my son. But he terrifies me.

A few weeks ago, Michael pulled a knife and threatened to kill me and then himself after I asked him to return his overdue library books. His 7 and 9 year old siblings knew the safety plan—they ran to the car and locked the doors before I even asked them to. I managed to get the knife from Michael, then methodically collected all the sharp objects in the house into a single Tupperware container that now travels with me. Through it all, he continued to scream insults at me and threaten to kill or hurt me.

That conflict ended with three burly police officers and a paramedic wrestling my son onto a gurney for an expensive ambulance ride to the local emergency room. The mental hospital didn’t have any beds that day, and Michael calmed down nicely in the ER, so they sent us home with a prescription for Zyprexa and a follow-up visit with a local pediatric psychiatrist.

We still don’t know what’s wrong with Michael. Autism spectrum, ADHD, Oppositional Defiant or Intermittent Explosive Disorder have all been tossed around at various meetings with probation officers and social workers and counselors and teachers and school administrators. He’s been on a slew of antipsychotic and mood altering pharmaceuticals, a Russian novel of behavioral plans. Nothing seems to work.

At the start of seventh grade, Michael was accepted to an accelerated program for highly gifted math and science students. His IQ is off the charts. When he’s in a good mood, he will gladly bend your ear on subjects ranging from Greek mythology to the differences between Einsteinian and Newtonian physics to Doctor Who. He’s in a good mood most of the time. But when he’s not, watch out. And it’s impossible to predict what will set him off.

Several weeks into his new junior high school, Michael began exhibiting increasingly odd and threatening behaviors at school. We decided to transfer him to the district’s most restrictive behavioral program, a contained school environment where children who can’t function in normal classrooms can access their right to free public babysitting from 7:30-1:50 Monday through Friday until they turn 18.

The morning of the pants incident, Michael continued to argue with me on the drive. He would occasionally apologize and seem remorseful. Right before we turned into his school parking lot, he said, “Look, Mom, I’m really sorry. Can I have video games back today?”

“No way,” I told him. “You cannot act the way you acted this morning and think you can get your electronic privileges back that quickly.”

His face turned cold, and his eyes were full of calculated rage. “Then I’m going to kill myself,” he said. “I’m going to jump out of this car right now and kill myself.”

That was it. After the knife incident, I told him that if he ever said those words again, I would take him straight to the mental hospital, no ifs, ands, or buts. I did not respond, except to pull the car into the opposite lane, turning left instead of right.

“Where are you taking me?” he said, suddenly worried. “Where are we going?”

“You know where we are going,” I replied.

“No! You can’t do that to me! You’re sending me to hell! You’re sending me straight to hell!”

I pulled up in front of the hospital, frantically waiving for one of the clinicians who happened to be standing outside. “Call the police,” I said. “Hurry.”

Michael was in a full-blown fit by then, screaming and hitting. I hugged him close so he couldn’t escape from the car. He bit me several times and repeatedly jabbed his elbows into my rib cage. I’m still stronger than he is, but I won’t be for much longer.

The police came quickly and carried my son screaming and kicking into the bowels of the hospital. I started to shake, and tears filled my eyes as I filled out the paperwork—“Were there any difficulties with… at what age did your child… were there any problems with.. has your child ever experienced.. does your child have…”

At least we have health insurance now. I recently accepted a position with a local college, giving up my freelance career because when you have a kid like this, you need benefits. You’ll do anything for benefits. No individual insurance plan will cover this kind of thing.

For days, my son insisted that I was lying—that I made the whole thing up so that I could get rid of him. The first day, when I called to check up on him, he said, “I hate you. And I’m going to get my revenge as soon as I get out of here.”
    By day three, he was my calm, sweet boy again, all apologies and promises to get better. I’ve heard those promises for years. I don’t believe them anymore.

On the intake form, under the question, “What are your expectations for treatment?” I wrote, “I need help.”

And I do. This problem is too big for me to handle on my own. Sometimes there are no good options. So you just pray for grace and trust that in hindsight, it will all make sense.

I am sharing this story because I am Adam Lanza’s mother. I am Dylan Klebold’s and Eric Harris’s mother. I am Jason Holmes’s mother. I am Jared Loughner’s mother. I am Seung-Hui Cho’s mother. And these boys—and their mothers—need help. In the wake of another horrific national tragedy, it’s easy to talk about guns. But it’s time to talk about mental illness.

According to Mother Jones, since 1982, 61 mass murders involving firearms have occurred throughout the country. Of these, 43 of the killers were white males, and only one was a woman. Mother Jones focused on whether the killers obtained their guns legally (most did). But this highly visible sign of mental illness should lead us to consider how many people in the U.S. live in fear, like I do.

When I asked my son’s social worker about my options, he said that the only thing I could do was to get Michael charged with a crime. “If he’s back in the system, they’ll create a paper trail,” he said. “That’s the only way you’re ever going to get anything done. No one will pay attention to you unless you’ve got charges.”

I don’t believe my son belongs in jail. The chaotic environment exacerbates Michael’s sensitivity to sensory stimuli and doesn’t deal with the underlying pathology. But it seems like the United States is using prison as the solution of choice for mentally ill people. According to Human Rights Watch, the number of mentally ill inmates in U.S. prisons quadrupled from 2000 to 2006, and it continues to rise—in fact, the rate of inmate mental illness is five times greater (56 percent) than in the non-incarcerated population.

With state-run treatment centers and hospitals shuttered, prison is now the last resort for the mentally ill—Rikers Island, the LA County Jail and Cook County Jail in Illinois housed the nation’s largest treatment centers in 2011.

No one wants to send a 13-year old genius who loves Harry Potter and his snuggle animal collection to jail. But our society, with its stigma on mental illness and its broken healthcare system, does not provide us with other options. Then another tortured soul shoots up a fast food restaurant. A mall. A kindergarten classroom. And we wring our hands and say, “Something must be done.”

I agree that something must be done. It’s time for a meaningful, nation-wide conversation about mental health. That’s the only way our nation can ever truly heal.

God help me. God help Michael. God help us all.

• deb WS says:

Jeez, sounds like you have your hands full!

Are you sure his name isn’t Greg?

Seriously, your son should be in jail on the government dole until The Affordable Health Care Act solves all your problems.

The 2nd will never be repealed and if it was there’s going to be two countries which is where we’re headed. It ain’t the guns guys its the cultural filth- be it Woody Allen Jerry Springer Stern Paris Hilton TMZ the Kardashian hookers MTV 1,2,3,4,5, locking two guys in a cage and calling it an “art” and the rest of the degeneracy that has been forcefead to our kids for the last 30 years. There’s going to be hell to pay. The breakdown of the family, history and religion constantly ridiculed, ethics and morality pissed on, 12 year old girls turned into whores, WHORES! And you expect something different? God gave us the right to bear arms to protect ourselves from Communists foreign and domestic.

And last and listen very very carefully. In the next few weeks we’re going to hear save the children save the children and all sorts of other phony bullshit on why we need to enact gun control to make us safer. THAT IS ABSOLUTELY NOT WHY FIENSTEIN BOXER SHCHUMER LAUTENBERG AND THE REST OF THE DEGENERATES WANT GUN CONTROL.

• Babs says:

God gives us the right to bear arms? Are you totally nuts or just plain dumb! The 2nd amendment (notice amendment) gives citizens the right to bear arms and form a mititia to protect from tyranny. It’s an amendment and can be AMENDED!!! And where does it say anything about AK 47′s or clips that can fire 30 bullets in 1 second? Only the police and military need these kind of devastating arms. Lets stick together reasonable poeple and stand together to do the right thing! It’s time!

• deb WS says:

Babs…If you haven’t noticed tyranny is here and the only thing keeping it at bay is the 2nd Amendment.

PS If you think you’ll get 2/3 of the states to vote for any constitutional amendment you’re the one whose nuts.

14. vince says:

Typical ranting of a little boy who cries and strikes out when he doesn’t get his way.

Sorry hit the wrong button. The truth behind gun control is the people in this country mainly the right wing are heavily armed and the left considers them dangerous, very dangerous. And if you can take away their guns they’re defenseless. That’s what’s behind the non-stop propoganda against guns. Propoganda come on Andy isn’t that a bit too far. No its not. Nonstop anti-gun lies have been ejaculated onto the American psyche by the media masters for the last 30 years. The link below is a perfect example and if you want 100 more examples I’ll be glad to provide.

Last I have a challenge to all of you! Christmas reward if you can win. Find me a positive reference to the NRA in popular culture. Not talk radio but a sitcom MTV a play anywhere in any movie and you win a prize.

Listen to the filth. Who wrote that movie? Rob Reiner. Who is Rob Reiner? A very powerful Hollywood producer and of course, a communist.

Good Night.

Aaron Sorkin wrote that. And it’s damn good writing. The best!

• Vince says:

Andy should make another challenge: find him one positive reference to the White Supremisist Movement in popular culture. Not Something from Limbaugh or Savage, but from a sitcom or MTV. They stand up for good ole Christian values and are for the rights of white people, who have become the minority in Obama’s America.

I wonder why 100% of neo-nazi’s and white supremacists have guns and are all about the NRA.

Hate Whitey Christians Vinny? Hate those people hate their faith hate them don’t Ya lawya. Go ahead admit it d ok nth be shy.

18. jojo says:

Machine guns are not what the 2nd amendment protected prop right Andy.

Unlike you, unlike the NRA members, unlike Republicans, I love everyone, even you Andy.

Me, too. I love the things Vince brings to this blog. I love the things Andy brings to this blog. Mostly, I love Babs, in every way imaginable, and beyond.

I’m lucky to have all of you in my life. Thank you!

• Andy says:

@Jojo you have to be more specific when you say machine guns. If you mean an M-60 I agree. If you mean an AR-15 I disagree.

20. brooklyn says:

Excellent post. I am inspired! Very helpful information specifically the closing part :)

Thanks and best of luck.

21. Diana Stevan says:

Great article. My sentiments exactly. I’ve also written a post, When Will America Wake Up? Check out Newtown United Facebook page. If the momentum is there, maybe we all can make a difference.

22. Da Bad Ass says:

There should be no limit on what a law abiding citizen can own. Any weapon, and tool, and caliber, any model, any firing rate, any ammo should be available. The US has been pussified by lefties. Where are the real men? Who will lead? A pascifist? A liberal? In these times? It is a world of survival and the weak will perish, not inherit the earth. I will not be weak and I will not allow you to make me weak. Just try it, sucker.

Here is the big NRA response:

National Rifle Association of America is made up of four million moms and dads, sons and daughters –- and we were shocked, saddened and heartbroken by the news of the horrific and senseless murders in Newtown.
    Out of respect for the families, and as a matter of common decency, we have given time for mourning, prayer and a full investigation of the facts before commenting.
    The NRA is prepared to offer meaningful contributions to help make sure this never happens again.
    The NRA is planning to hold a major news conference in the Washington, DC area on Friday, December 21.
    ………….
    So the fucking NRA makes up about 1% of the population of this great country. It is time to take a fucking back seat to everyone else who is in the overwhelming majority. NO MORE FUCKING GUNS YOU ASSHOLES!

The way the NRA carries on, you’d thing it was made up of half of the citizens. Nope. Just a bunch of money to make a bunch of noise. Quiet down you fucking brats. We are taking your toys away.

Vince check out AIPAC they’re a lobby too. Do you think they have power beyond their numbers. Just curious.

The NRA has all the time in the world. Months from now, whatever started, is in the middle of… How big of a gun….How many bullets make up a large clip…..how to govern the possible licsence and state legal issues for each proposal.

The arguments for getting anything done are absent.

Over time, people will forget and the NRA are right where they were 12/13/12.

26. Ervin Speltz says:

World’s News: His Majesty the King Cuong Truong created a character name Actor Tom Truong for his upcoming real life horror movie Jesus Christ reborn: The Second Coming of Christ.

27. square root says:

Excellent goods from you, man.