Healthy Eating, A Life’s Mission

In 1999, I was working at Citrus Bar & Grill while living with my brother Greg in a one-bedroom apartment on Saint Marks Place in New York City. On my day-off, to make a little extra money, so I could afford my half of the rent, in our one-bedroom apartment, I began cooking meals for my regulars at their homes.

Over and over again, I noticed a desire for healthy food. So I began experimenting.

I’d visit the Meat Packing District, looking for grass fed beef. I’d shop Chinatown, looking for wild fish. I’d cruise Little Italy, hunting for fresh noodles. I’d wander the French Markets, sniffing-out imported cheeses, with no hormones or steroids. On any corner in New York City, I’d find the best water bagels in the entire world.

My favorite discovery was a local grocery store called Dean & Deluca; they sold organic veggies; they sold farmer friendly chicken; you might ask what “farmer friendly” means; it means the farmer is friendly.

;-)

Today, I run a Healthy Meal Business centered on Lean Proteins, Complex Carbs and Portion Control.

Lean Proteins and Complex Carbs are food groups. Portion Control is a mindset, a discipline our fat-ass kids are not being taught. So they don’t respect themselves, treating drive-thru’s and big gulps like they’re normal instead of a one-way ticket to Early Onset Diabetes.

Shame On Us!

My Uncle’s solution to obesity was chugging diet soda and chain smoking. My Aunt’s solution to mood swings brought on by zero exercise was pill popping. My Cousin’s solution to over-eating is Jenny Craig, thinking the “naturally low fat” treats will “magically” keep her skinny.

Abracadabra. Abraca-scam-ya.

There’s nothing natural about low fat. It’s a lie. So is diet soda. So is separate but equal. You might think one has nothing to do with the other. But it’s a mindset, like Portion Control. You have to be honest with yourself. If it sounds too good to be true, if it looks too easy to be believed, if it’s on sale, don’t buy it.

There’s Only One Mantra I Hold Dear To My Heart: K.I.S.S. (keep it simple, stupid).

A year ago, I re-launched EnterTheChef. We’re doing over 300 meals a week. Over the holidays, catering went up 500%. The new website is due to launch in a month. The food is consistently perfect: it’s not a sale’s pitch, so you can believe it.

Have a look, I’m including pictures. The food is an expression of my love for the being in the kitchen and deep-deep respect for taking care of yourself. Hey, no one else can do it for you. So take care of yourself first.

To make it as simple as I possibly can, here’s the mission statement: Lean Proteins, Complex Carbs and Put Down The Fucking Fork!

Tomatillo Salsa

• 2#Tomatillos
  • 1 Onion
  • 3 Jalapenos
  • 1 Bunch Cilantro
  • 1/2 Cup Olive Oil
  • Salt & Pepper to Taste
  1. Toss Tamatillos, Jalapenos and Onion in Oil and Season
  2. Toss on Grill and Char 10-15 Minutes
  3. Put Charred Veggies and Cilantro on Blender
  4. Puree
  5. Adjust Seasoning

Healthy Tip: This is a healthy way to season without oil or butter and a great sauce for serving as an appetizer with chips. It’s also great for marinating meats like chuck steak, pork butt or chicken. Enjoy!

This entry was posted in Food Fight and tagged , , , . Bookmark the permalink.

20 Responses to Healthy Eating, A Life’s Mission

What do you think of Veganism?

2. Jew Knows says:

What’s in those tin trays? Looks alot like white rice and canned peas and carrots, you fat fucking cook. Try quinoa instead of rice. Or if you must feed your belly rice, try brown rice. Instead of canned veggies high in sodium, try fresh veggies. Organic veggies is a hoax. Don’t waste the money (look it up – often less nutriontal value at higher prices with more chemicals, genious).

Do your happy fat filled meals come with a toy?

3. George says:

Putting down the fork is hard. I’ve never been good at controlling myself once I start eating. I’d say I don’t stop until I’m in the middle of a Food Coma, and then I keep right on going. My poor kids, they’ve picked up on my lousy eating habits. Thanks for pointing me in the right direction, chef. I need to give serious consideration to “portion control.” Is it too late to make a new year’s resolution?

4. jojo says:

too extreme moderation is the answer.

Bill Clinton says hes alive because hes a vegan. Is tofu nasty Ive never had it?

6. Karen says:

Thanks for the healthy tip. Love the stories. Love the recipes.
    :love:

7. shirley says:

enjoyed your eating healthy and how to really loose weight article immensely. everything you wrote is the absolute truth. good luck with your re entry of healthy enter the chef. shirley

Andy, Tofu is a soy. Too much isn’t good for men. It actually ups estrogen levels in men. Tastes like cum.

Happy to report Shirley from Telluride is on the mend, broken ankle and all. And she loved the rugallah!!! Portion control is the hardest thing of all, especially if your lovin what your eatin!! But as a nation it’s time we did just that!!

10. Kip says:

How do you know what cum tastes like, Vince?

11. paul says:

As a result eating with zero discipline I’ve developed heart disease. I’ve had to quite smoking and eat a low sodium diet. I’m learning how to make food instead of cruising taco bell. Very boring and always hungry. Going to try marinating chicken in that tomatillo sauce thanks Joseph.

12. jojo says:

Use a tiny dash of kosher salt instead of over seasoning with iodized salt it makes a huge difference.

13. janet says:

My kids hate my cooking but your recipes are super simple and easy to follow. I actually braised lamb in tomatillo salsa recently and it was yummy. Can we have more Mexican recipes they are always a kid pleaser :love:

14. jomo says:

Ressolutions are like diets they fizzle. Change is a slow process. Start by taking sugar out of your coffee or quitting soda. Try eating less gluten by having oatmeal with nuts and dry fruit for breakfast. Consistency plus time is more realistic.

A woman’s not a man’s, jerkoff.

16. Kip says:

Me thinks Vince doth protest too much.

17. Hello, i believe that i saw you visited my blog so i came to go back the prefer?.I am attempting to to find issues to improve my site!I guess its ok to make use of some of your ideas!!

18. Thank you, I have just been searching for information about this topic for a long time and yours is the greatest I’ve found out till now. But, what about the bottom line? Are you positive concerning the supply?|What i don’t realize is actually how you are not really a lot more well-liked than you may be right now. You are so intelligent.

19. sexkontakte says:

Heya i am for the first time here. I came across this board and I find It really helpful & it helped me out much. I hope to provide something back and help others such as you helped me.